Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Abyss

"I looked into that abyss," a friend said to me, "and I knew I didn't want to stay there long enough for it to look back into me."

Well, I didn't just look in.  I fell in, head first.

I settled in.  I dropped anchor.

No, I didn't stay, not forever.  But long enough for the darkness to know my name.

I made my home there for a while.

Like Persephone, I stayed too long.

My mother did not come to rescue me.  I reached down and I saved myself, as much of myself as I could find.

But like Persephone, I'd eaten the pomegranate seeds.  I must return at times to that darkness.  I stayed too long to ever fully leave.

2 comments:

  1. That is my story as well, worded beautifully and as accurate as a knife to the heart. Thanks for sharing your struggles. I don't want you to have a hard time, but I sure appreciate knowing you are out there, that someone else is dealing with stuff and living through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate knowing my words touched someone. This might end up becoming a poem at some point.

      Delete